Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for December, 2011

Happy Christmas!!

Well, it’s that time of year again! And what a year it’s been…!?

There have been lots of changes here at ‘Star Command’ over the last 12 months or so, but the ol’ Blog has remained a constant and steady companion!

As always, thanks to all who have written in and commented – a very Happy Christmas and Happy New year to you all out there and let’s see what 2012 brings?

Clivey xx

Happy Christmas 2011!

Happy Christmas 2011!

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Some time back I lost one of the knurled knobs from my trusty old Ibanez electric guitar…. having failed to find a replacement anywhere, I though I’d have a go at making a new one from copper and brass – it wouldn’t look the same of course but would hopefully echo the brassy look of the rest of the fittings on the guitar, and also complement some of the other stuff I have made in and around my music equipment (like my copper guitar hanger, etc).

So, here are a series of photos showing what I did and how. . .

Firstly, here’s  shot of one of the original knurled knobs (spot the green corrosion in the knurling – horrid!):

original knob

original knob

. . . and here is the one I made by soldering a short length of copper pipe fitting onto an old 10 franc brass coin (the fitting has been cut down a bit to make it fit the height of the existing knob a bit better…). This shot shows it after just a light clean up – I polished the final thing a lot more with wire wool and Brasso before giving it a light coat of spay clear varnish)

new knob

new knob

To attach the new knob to the stem of the potentiometer, I cut a short length of inner sleeve from plastic tubing about the right diameter to act as a push fit over the pot stem, and fixed this in centre place within the body of the knob with some hard setting casting plaster (epoxy would have done just as well I guess):

inner sleeve

inner sleeve

Here it is in place (note the air bubble in the plaster – oops!). I filed any proud plaster/plastic sleeve flush with the bottom of the copper knob, and slightly chamfered the top of the inner sleeve to have a bit of clearance over the fixing nut of the potentiometer:

sleeve plastered in place

sleeve plastered in place

Here is a shot of the finished knob in place on the guitar – they look very different but somehow complement each other I think? (apologies for the rather blurry photo!):

knob in place

knob in place

One thing I’ve never been that happy with on my guitar is how close the volume knob is to the bridge of the guitar (in the above photo, this is the distance between the upper knurled knob and the brassy bridge/black pick up). I therefore wondered if, having done all this work, it was now the time to bite the bullet and try moving it…  I had a spare 10 franc coin left over, and through that this might make a nie ‘blank’ to fill in the hole that would be left by removing/moving the original volume knob.

Below is a shot of me marking out a new position for the volume knob, roughly half way between the lower tone knob and the original hole…

marking out

marking out new hole position

Here’s me drilling the new hole – the white dust is the hard lacquer rather than the actual wood:

drilling the new hole

drilling the new hole

To fill in the original hole, I superglued the 10 franc coin in place over it (just to act as a temporary guide) and scored around the rim with a scalpel to mark the position and prevent the lacquer from cracking when routed out. Then using a small routing bit with my trusty Dremel tool, I proceeded to rout out a hole of the right depth and diameter to accommodate the coin. After a  few tries, it was just about right – the shot below shows this work in progress, as well as the volume pot screwed in place in it’s new location (minus knob) .

routing the recess

routing the recess

I stained the outer edge of the hole with a black marker (just to help hide any irregularities) and, having polished and varnished the coin, glued it in place with a bit of epoxy resin glue and here it is!!:

everything in place!

everything in place!

Here’s another shot of the final thing:

the finished item

the finished item

It’s not perfect, but is now much easier to play, and always gets some interested comments when people see it. Having lived with it for a while I think I will certainly make another new knob to replace the old knurled one – they work ok together visually but would be much nicer as a coordinated suite I think!

Read Full Post »

Here’s a couple of shots of my latest set of creations –  a series of keyrings or light pulls (depending on the size and weight of them) made in a copper/brass steampunk styling.

Below is a representative sample – I forgot to put anything in to show scale but the relative sized of the various components give one a clue…

Light pull / keyring

Light pull / keyring

shot of the bottom 'dome'

shot of the bottom 'dome'

Made as ever from found and recycled components, the core parts are my usual ‘staples’ of copper tube, old coins, keys and range of brass and iron ‘doodads’ for decoration etc (for example the brass domed rivet that fills the bottom of the version shown).  Mix in a liberal helping of ‘secret ingredient’ to hold all the parts firmly together and there you have it…

So far I have a made a large range of shapes, sizes and  styles – some like the above are polished and varnished, some will be left in a raw state to corrode/wheather as time sees fit…

Here is a rather poor, and indeed confusing, shot of several of the ‘work in progress’ ones I am making at the moment, as well as the rather rustic display pole I have been working on to both store and show them off.

Display pole and more samples

Display pole and more samples

My aim is to sell a bunch of these – if you are interested then get in touch and I’ll tell you what I was thinking in terms of cost, delivery etc…

Read Full Post »